Tuesday, March 24, 2020


Cautious


Empty inside the quiet Subway
Upturned chairs over the tables,
Both of us masked, she’s gloved as well
I chatter my order of a footlong with
turkey breast all toasted and covered
with choice of veggies slathered with a light
Mayo and spicy mustard with hot jalapeno pickle.
She hasn’t said a word, her hands are quick
I start to wonder and then she says suddenly
as if in answer to my thoughts,” I try not to speak”.
I sense her caution just as she senses my wonder.
Covid19 has made us better sensors of each other.
She served me sustenance today
Am  prayerful for her gracious succour.


2 comments:

  1. Quietly evocative and poignant. Certainly the pandemic is making some of us more sensitive humans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any adversity brings out the best and the worst in us. This pandemic is no different. You are so right. Thanks for stopping by despite the encircling gloom.

      Delete

Topmost Vishnupriya  I saw  the crazy ant lift and pack the humongous peanut on its back. It could carry twenty times its slim we...